Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Sermon with The Rever-end Dillinger



Fear: the indomitable spirit of mankind?

Fear: the indomitable spirit of mankind? The question asked is, I suppose, redundant, the point being that it is all there is after baby times. Infants, it seems, have none. Learn it they do, as they grow, taught to them for fear of injurious death syndrome which brings me to what might be called a point: death! Why does the religious person fear it so? After all, there is a better place, so they say. Could it be fear? I think it is. Here we have it short and sweet; question asked, question answered. We fight disease, pain, consciousness, we fight it all. Then we search for ways to make wider, more encompassing, that conscience which stares us in the face every second of our lives which we so often, suicide-like, choose to ignore, or that chemical aberrational poison of, or in, the head which excuses all evil; drugs, religion, self denial, combinations of all sorts of silliness, or is it?

It is fear, plain and simple. The undoubting believer is afraid he or she just might be wrong, it seems. Why would they fight death so, if that were not the case? Sure, I understand the fear of suffering, pain, cancer therapy, limblessness, going blind, failure, the will to succeed not fail, the latter being the driving force of most, it seems, myself probably included. Oh, by the by, I include myself in all of the above. Do not think for one second that I approach this from on high. No, indeed I do not. I am right slam bang in the middle of it. I am sure many think of these things; they simply have to, right?

I wonder why the subconscious tells us absolute truth. Soldiers know when they are going to buy their lunch. Soldiers know when they are not. Soldiers just know, whether they admit it or not, or rather, if they are listening to their subconscious and simply refuse overtly to believe or understand that, the still small voice that speaks to them in times is always telling the truth. Yes, yes it often screams but is nevertheless ignored by most of us most of the time, me as well. I have learned better, yes I have! I often listen to it, hear it clearly, then totally ignore it, less now than when I was a nipper but still prone to ignore the absolute truth. The spirit of god, which is often, if not always, unheeded gave us the gift of the still small voice which never lies. He also gave us the choice to ignore it which was a tad dastardly to say the least. Come on, you know it is – dastardly, I mean.

Fear: the indomitable spirit of mankind. What makes us stand up and be counted, which is heroic because, of course, you cannot have courage without fear, can you?

So, question asked again and answered, again! The infant has none. It has reaction, shock, shit like that but it has no fear. No, none whatsoever. We have it, so we teach it. A matter of self preservation, you say? Absolutely it is, necessary as all hell. So what is it that makes our tribes as they are everywhere? Maybe I am figuring out catch-22 in my old age? What do you think? That is not bad; after all, better late than never, right?

Go from this electrical search for salvation, leave fear at the wayside of the banal. The Right Reverend Dillinger Flakewaiter gives you permission, as God gave love to his son who was crucified, dead and buried, who rose from the dead to quicken our lives without the devil’s chide. Peace, love to you all on this most glorious of days, our Lord's day. Remember it is every day that fear beckons to you as the whore, the harlot, the politician who craves your power. Remember that the mammon of the devil is fear. Trade places with yourselves, send His message to relieve your hearts. Oh, by the way, I am totally fucking broke so send money. That will alleviate most of your damned fear – Love, Reverend D.

No comments:

Post a Comment